Sunday, September 23, 2018

Enjoy The Week: 2018 Grand Final Week Diary. Saturday.

So here we go again. Another Grand Final week. I've had a few now.

The one best piece of advice to anyone whose team has made it to the Big Dance, is to 'enjoy the week'.

You hear it a lot, so much, it has become a cliche.

But it's true.

The best thing about the week isn't the grand final itself. It isn't even the result. It's the anticipation. Hope and anticipation does lovely things to your brain.

You walk in the spring sun with a dumb grin.

You dream.

This time I don't just want to enjoy the week. I want to remember it.

That's why I'll do this diary.


Saturday, the day after the big prelim. We've smashed Richmond. Look up at that video. I filmed the moment the final siren went. The camera goes crazy as I hug my mates, then some composure to sing the song. It was quite a moment. Nothing unusual. Just standing room we've just made it to the grand final joy.

Today we go to the Victoria Market as we do every Saturday. I have Fred, my little 11 month year old son wear a Collingwood jumper. Usually there's a lot of people wearing the colours of the winning team at the market after a big game like last night's. Not so much today.

Would've been lots more if Richmond had won. It feels like Melbourne is still in a little shock from last night. Not much reaction to Fred. One lady in her Collingwood gear talks to Fred about the game last night. He's oblivious. She doesn't seem to notice. That's cool. She's excited, and Fred, like all 11 month olds, is a cute baby.

Melbourne get monstered in their prelim final against the West Coast Eagles. Relief for my friends I go to the footy with who have MCC memberships. Would've been tough for them to get in to the grand final if Melbourne had made it.

Tomorrow to get the tickets. It's always the hardest part of the week. Wish me luck.

145 footy related messages on my phone today.

No comments: