Monday, August 20, 2007

The World's Greatest War Reenactment

Every year American nerds reenact the Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg while many more thousands watch.

Happens every year.

But when it comes to historical reenactments nothing compares to Sunday's reenactment of the great brawl of 1974 at Windy Hill.

4,000 watched as has-been players, umpires, officials and police staged the historically accurate reenactment to raise money for cancer research.

I haven't been able to find out if there was a child actor playing the role of the six year old Richmond supporter who, amazingly and famously, was right in the middle of it.

In 2002, the now grown up James Ferguson told The Age that he was on the ground with a policeman looking for his dad when the fight broke out.
"I went off to get a hot dog or a drink or something and on the way back I got lost. I told somebody I was lost, so they passed me over the fence to this policeman."

"He told me to stay with him and hold on to his coat, and we were walking around the ground looking for my parents. Then the 'blue' started, and it was just all-in. He ran on to the ground, so I just followed him."
Imagine his school show-and-tell on the Monday morning.

I so envy him.

No comments: