Monday, June 20, 2005

I Was Maimed By Deep Soul



A few years ago when I was working at Shock Records, this compilation, Dave Godin's Soul Treasures Volume 3, came by my desk. When I say 'came by my desk' I mean exactly that. One of my jobs there was to get a huge pile of cds or press releases from record importers and write a one or two sentence review of each for the weekly record company release sheet given to all the record shops.

With up to 40 reviews a week, I was a one man record reviewin', press releasin' production line. Pity nobody read my guff. The record shop owners would only read Shock's release sheet to find out when the new Craig David single was coming out. Nothing's changed, only it's Ricki Lee now.

This record stunned me.

This is what I wrote on the release sheet:
"My balls are on fire and I'm crying, crying, crying. This is and will be the most perfect soul compilatation you will ever hear. Order as many of units your shop can afford of this one, NOW! One for you, one for your lover, one for your mother, one for your father, one for neighbour, one for the Chinese bloke who owns your local milkbar, one for the drunk guy on the train on the way to work, one to your local MP, one to your parole officer and thousands to all the sad people in the world and thousands more for the the happy. Trust us on this one."
And this is what I should have written:
"Deep soul rarities compiled by renowned soul DJ/Journalist Dave Godin featuring cuts by James Brown, Baby Washington, Toussaint McCall, Carla Thomas, Bobby Womack, Irma Thomas, Rick James and many more."
A week later I was asked to leave the company.

No comments: