Thursday, March 30, 2006

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Researchers are building a little gadget which will help autistic people find out if they're boring or annoying the poobits out of the person they're talking to.

According to Boing Boing it's a little camera clipped onto your glasses which feeds pictures to a little computer running image recognition software to characterize emotions of the person you're talking to/at.

If the listener doesn't seem to be interested in your boring story about the dream you had last night, the gadget vibrates.

2 comments:

Ramona said...

Is this device available on ebay? Does it work for everyone? There have been many times Ive needed an early warning device (Im sure an electric shock or a tranquilizer would be more effective in my case). I'd also like someone to invent a black box for humans for debriefing purposes so I can work out at what point it all went pear shaped.

Glenn Peters said...

I was telling someone about this at a party last night and midway through the story they turned away to another conversation.

I need one of these real quick.

Funny you should mention electricity.

I was going to tell a little fib and say this thingy gives the user an electric shock instead of vibration only so I could headline the story, Shock Me If You've Heard This One Before.