Monday, August 15, 2005

100 Rock Documentaries Piled Into The Lyrics Of One Song



Was blown away by Clint Eastwood's Piano Blues.

At last a music doco without superlative spoutin' experts. Just the
music mam.

Excellent stuff by Oscar Peterson, Pinetop Perkins, Otis Span,
Count Basie, Dr John, Dave Bruebeck, Fats Domino, Monk, and too
many others. Even more impressive was how sixty years of
footage could be seemlessly mixed into a ten minute, hip shakin'
earth quakin' boogie. Yep, technical boffin-ry made good.

Yes, I do spend a lot of time watching music documentaries. And
I'm here to tells ya, none will come close to explaining music's
power like the music itself.

Fat bearded, music critic blokes, friends of the family, Berkely riot
footage and songs cut just as they get interesting make me want
to throw up.

Which brings us to Paul Simon's Graceland. Listen hard to the
words and you get the history of American music, all in under
five minutes.

Here's a bit...

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war

I'm going to Graceland
Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland
Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland

And my traveling companions
Are ghosts and empty sockets
I'm looking at ghosts and empties
But I've reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland

No comments: