Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Raimond, My Grand Father Struggles With Microphone Feedback


Romulus, My Father is a beautiful film.

Saw it at a special Readings preview at the Kino last night.

Afterwards Helen Garner interviewed Raimond Gaita, the author of the sad memoir the film is based on.

Their chat was like the film's imaginary ninth sequel where the little boy grows up to be a famous old philosopher/writer/ponderer who struggles with microphone feedback while speaking at literary functions.

Helen Garner however, had no problems with feedback.

She's a pro.

And I want to be her when I grow up.

Got home to see Margaret give it 4 stars and David, a begrudging 3.

By the way, Eric Bana was brilliant as Romulus and Kodi Smit-McPhee was extraordinary as the young Raimond Gaita.

Which leads to my favorite bit of Garner and Gaita's post movie discussion.
Garner: "Kodi Smit-McPhee was incredible in the role. Where on earth did they find him?"

Gaita: "Craigieburn."
Go see it.

Opens May 31st.

1 comment:

Glenn Peters said...

I know a movie's really good if I'm thinking about it the next day.

I still can't stop thinking about this one.